Friday, July 07, 2006

FORMAT FOR MONEY

Julley everyone
I would like to tackle the issue of the format in which to take your money to India

MONEY: I would recommend not to use the credit cards or to carry too much of cash in India. The safest way to carry money three years ago when I was in India was to make Traveller's Cheques in USD. These cheques could be cashed at all the major banks in India. As far as I know, if someone steals these cheques from you, it is not possible for them to cash them as they would be in your name. Depending on how much money you want to spend and your style of travelling, I would recommend to make traveller's cheques in the dimensions of 100-200 USDs. For those of you who are going to be in India for 3-6 months, you can even consider opening up an account in some Indian bank, that ways you will have an option of withdrawing money from ATM's aka ABM (American lingo).

I would get back to you on this issue after I reach India and find out the latest situation over there. I would have a better idea about the safest way to carry money in India by the end of July.

No comments: