Friday, July 07, 2006

TREKKING POLES

One of the most controversial questions that I am asked most frequently is "If Trekking poles should be taken on the treks?". Well my answer is that "It all depends on your hiking style" If you think that they are going to be helpful than bring them, but try to hike with them before you take them on a long trek. They are not very necessary and most of the people do not carry them either, so it all pretty much depends on your hiking preferences. What I would recommend would be to bring one hiking pole instead of two. Usually I do not carry hiking pole, but when I do I find it to be so much easier to trek with one pole instead of two. It is always a good idea to keep one hand free while doing some serious hiking. Two poles are good when walking on terrain that does not have much altitude variation, but that won't really be the case in most of the treks in Himalayas.

Hiking Poles come in real handy in
1. Crossing the streams (we won't be crossing any serious streams in September).
2. With poles, you can always make a Clothes Line pretty much anywhere.
3. To scare away dogs and other animals.

Please let me know what else you want to know about what to bring and what not to bring and any other questions that you have in mind.
Cheers for now.

No comments: